5¢ - Blue, deep blue
Printing Method: Flat plate
Subject: Monument at Mayport, Florida
Number issued: 5,659,023
Scott #: 616
Issued: Issued: May 1st, 1924
$1 - $2
No postmark with gum (MH)
$4 - $7
Full perfect gum, no postmark
no trace of stamp hinge mark (MNH)
$8 - $13
A pane of 100 of #616, there were four panes to a sheet of 400
#616 was issued with the following plate #'s
A first day cover of #615, May 1st, 1924
Congressman Dr. John Baer Stoudt suggested that the 1924 tercentenary celebration of the Huguenot-Walloon expedition should be commemorated on a stamp. Originally it was suggested that four values should be issued, 1¢, 2¢, 5¢ and 50¢.
The subject of the vignette is the Ribaud monument in Mayport, Florida. Mayport is at the mouth of the St. John's river and, in 1562, was the first place the Walloons landed in America. The Walloons named the river "Ye River Mai" or the May river, named after the month they landed there, and of course, this is how Mayport acquired its name.
The first image above is an engraving from a painting by a member of Ribault’s expedition, Jacques Le Moyne de Morgues (second image), shows the monument in place beside the St. Johns River in Florida, where it was erected in 1562 to mark the French claim to the territory.
When Ribault’s lieutenant René Laudonnière returned in 1564 to build Fort Caroline, he was greeted at the site by the chief of the Timucua Indians, who honored the French monument with garlands and offerings of food.
The third image shows the same engraving employed as the vignette for the new 5¢ stamp. However, this design was rejected. In it's place a decision was made to feature the new monument. Shown in the fourth and fifth images is a pencil sketch of the final design (616-E1) from the Bureau of Engraving. The last image is a die proof on India mounted on card (616-P1)